Editing an item, It doesn't remember previous values

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM
Hi,

First of all, thank you for this project, it's exactly what i need, and it works really really great, good job!

Now, I've a problem with the connected lookup, and i would like to know if I'm the only one with this problem or maybe It's a bug

I've no problems when creating new items, every lookup populates correctly.

Once I've created a new item, I can view it perfectly, with the content selected before in every lookup.

The problem comes when I'm trying to edit an item. The parent lookup has the correct content, but the children have the first element in the lookup, not the value selected before...

It's like..  the children lookups were trying to change their value to the correct one before their parents, and they haven't been populated yet...

Could someone help me?

Thanks!
Mar 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM
I have a similar problem in a 4 level lookup.  In viewing the record everyting is fine.  About 90% of the time the 4th level selection is lost on edit.  Occassionally (10% of the time), all but the top level are lost.  The -- blank selection is shown.  We have downloaded the source and will have a developer look at to see if we can spot something.
Mar 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM
Hi Webtiger,
Another user brought me back to this issue over the past week.. the reason is below

------------------------------------------------
ID     Start Letter     Name
1    A        Ana
2    A        Adam
3    A        Ajay
4    B        Bingo
5    B        Bethlehem

Now the usual use case is to have start letter field as the Parent and Name field as this Child in the referring list. But instead if someone chooses to use Name as the Parent and Starte Letter as the Child then the issue will crop up

The reason this is happening is this: in the code we remove duplicate entries in the list so the start letter drop down in the referring list will show only one A and one B even though there are 3 A's and 2 B's.
Assume this case, in New mode the user has chosen Adam as the value of the parent field and A as the value in the child field - so the chosen ID is 2.  
In Edit mode when we bring up the screen and populate the list drop downs, in an attempt to show only distinct values in the start letter drop down, we remove ID's 2, 3 and 5 because they are duplicates for ID's 1 and 4. so while populating the selected value 2, in edit mode we wont find the item in the drop down and end up displaying the default value.
------------------------------------------------------

If you are looking at the code then the fix for it has to be done, I believe, in this method

internal DataView DataSource
        {
            get
            {
}
}

I am trying a very rudimentary fix for this (yet to be tested well though) - if that works or if you find a fix that is well tested, in the meanwhile, we will mail to Leonid.

Thanks,
Sarathy

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Sarathy,

Thanks for following up.  I know Priyanka has gotten back with you.  Your explanation of the issue has helped us to look at.  I was out of the office all week, but the last I heard Friday morning we had not come up with a fix and could not compile the solution you sent Priyanka.  If you can send the source or an installable solution we will test.  We will let you know if we come up with a fix.

Regards,

Webtiger
Mar 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM
Hi webtiger,
The dll I sent to Priyanka has a different public key and I prefer installing it in GAC.. so that required some config changes in web.config and fieldtypes xml... all these are done and I got  a confirmation from Priyanka that things are working fine for her. Good to hear that.
Now that i am lot more confident about the fix, i will mail it to Leonid and wait for his confirmation.

PS: Fix is a code level logical fix and installing in GAC / bin does not have any effect on the functionality

Thanks and Regards,
Sarathy

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM
Sarathy,
Priyanka just got it going and seems fine. One questiion. Is allow multiple values working? I have the older build installed on another server and it seems to not work correctly with that set. Anything in your newer build that would help that?
Thanks and regards,
Jim

Jim Thomas | Synesis International | 864.679.1422 | (M) 864.979.5930 | www.synesisintl.com | 30 Creekview Ct., Greenville, SC 29615

Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:15 AM
To: Jim Thomas
Subject: Re: Editing an item, It doesn't remember previous values [cl:46909]

Hi webtiger,
The dll I sent to Priyanka has a different public key and I prefer installing it in GAC.. so that required some config changes in web.config and fieldtypes xml... all these are done and I got a confirmation from Priyanka that things are working fine for her. Good to hear that.
Now that i am lot more confident about the fix, i will mail it to Leonid and wait for his confirmation.

PS: Fix is a code level logical fix and installing in GAC / bin does not have any effect on the functionality

Thanks and Regards,
Sarathy

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission and accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Jan 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Hi

I experience the same problem. I have several values in child column that are duplicates. Colud you please send me this fix ?

Best Regards

Brigt Gjevik

Jan 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Brigt,
We ended up trying what Sarathy forwarded to us and it seemed to work at the time. My suggestion is to contact him to see if he can provide or post the code.
Regards,
Jim

Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:46 AM
To: Jim Thomas
Subject: Re: Editing an item, It doesn't remember previous values [cl:46909]

Hi

I experience the same problem. I have several values in child column that are duplicates. Colud you please send me this fix ?

Best Regards

Brigt Gjevik

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, reproduction or any action taken in reliance upon this message is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the company. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission and accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
May 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

We also experience the problem with loosing the selection on edit.

Is it possible for somebody to post the solution created sarathy1980 ?

Best Regards,

Morten