Fixes to some of the issues

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:14 AM
Hi Leonid,
This is a great piece of work and a valuable addition to sharepoint list field types. We faced some minor issues while using the connected lookup and could also fix them and use for our purpose. We will be more than happy to provide the fixes. We will be fixing more issues as they come up while we use this wonderful field type so if there is a good mechanism for us to post our fixes it will be great.

The source code available in svn in codeplex seems to be not complete - the code for ConnectedLookupFieldEditor class inherited by the ascx was not available (and I had to reengineer from the dll)

Here are the issues we fixed:
Permissions Issue - Only site collection administrators are able to refer to lists on a different site
Non site collection administrators get a access denied error
Edit Issue - Unable to edit a parent drop down data. This is the same issue that was reported wherein if the country is changed from Canada to Australia - an error is thrown
Required Field - If the field is a required field then the children of this drop down do not get automatically populated. For example if country is required and there is only one country available in the list we fetch from then we cannot populate the connected child drop down (event does not fire as the country drop down selectedindex cannot be changed)
Multi Level Support - Only up to 4 levels of parent child supported
This has been reported in one of the discussion items by Ian
Coordinator
Dec 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Sarathy, Thanks for the thorough posting. I will gladly look into including your fixes in the next release. Please contact me with your email.
The checked-in source code is WORK IN RPOGRESS. Please use at own risk:)
Dec 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM
Thanks Leonidly, My email is parthasarathy.thanda@sungard.com
I will send you some of the fixes tomorrow.

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM
I also was trying to workwith the source code and ran into the issue with the ConnectedLookupFieldEditor class -- can you please tell me how to resolve?

From what I can tell from installing the solution and looking at the code, this is a very well done project.  That being said, I must also express frustration that the source code appears to be almost a month behind the current release.  Isn't the main purpose of  CodePlex to provide open source for developers?

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM
I agree with you. It's actually more than a month difference. That being said, it's still my hobby, that gets whatever time remaining I have, in contrast to few other projects that have company's support and sponsorship.
So, please be patient, the source is in works and will be published after testing.