Clear Childs when changing value Parent

Dec 6, 2008 at 9:46 AM
Hi Leonid,
I posted some comments on your msdn blog in 2007 on this beautiful piece of work.
I'v anxiosly been waiting for your release here on codeplex, hoping you had done some last finetung to the connected lookup field.

Installed the solution today.
Everything worked like a charm, except for the same problem i've had from the start.
I've created everything exactly as described in your documentation. All is working exactly as you decribe. At the end of your documentation a new list item is created with three working connected lookup field.

Here's where the problem begins. Let's say whe want to edit the list item we just created. 
Looking at your example, i want to change the value of the country from 'Australia' to 'Canada'.
Once i've opened the item and select edit item, all is looking well. But When i change 'Australia' to 'Canada' i get 'an unexpected error has occured'.
The only way i can workaround this is is to first set the 'Lastname' (which is the last child lookup field) to '(none)' and save the item, then edit the item again en set the 'State' (which is the 2nd last child lookup field) to 'none' and save the item, then edit the item again and change the Country from 'Australia' to 'Canada'. I can now the choose the State and Lastname without any errors.

I'm no programmer but it looks like all child fields must be flushed/cleared when a value of a connected lookup field acting as a parent is changed.

Please, please, please help me out. I've been struggling with this problem for a year.
Thanks,
MarcvanEijk
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2008 at 2:17 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Dec 22, 2008 at 5:00 AM
Hi,
This is another issue, we fixed in our code while using the connected lookup and would like to contribute our fix - i have to warn saying this is one not so good fix - however it serves the purpose. We fixed a couple of other issues too and would be more than happy to provide them to you.

Regards,
Sarathy
Jan 14, 2009 at 3:41 AM
This has been a major blocker for us as list items are regularly updated with new info.

Would love to see a reliable fix soon... :)
Coordinator
Jan 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM
I published Connected Lookup build 2.0.011509.0 that should address this issue. Please check it out.
The build has enhancements proposed by Thanda P.
Kudos to Thanda!